11 May Dream Picks: Snack Recipes to Pair with Our Favorite Binge-Worthy Shows
Whether you’re glued to cable, Netflix, or Hulu, you might be spending a little more time watching television than usual these days. But hey, that’s okay; we are, too! For some, Friday nights out have become family game nights or a night in with a puzzle— and what was once a busy Saturday is now the perfect time to binge all of our favorite shows.
A good binge session isn’t complete without a snack or two, so we’ve created five snack recipes to pair with our favorite binge-worthy shows— with a few drink suggestions in there, too. Fire up the oven and get comfy!
Tiger King’s Garbage Pizza
No visit to the G.W. Zoo was complete without stopping by the pizza shop. So make some pizza with whatever you find in your refrigerator to channel Joe Exotic. We recommend drinking an Abita Purple Haze to get you in that Louisiana state of mind.
1 Pizza Crust, Personal Size
½ cup Pizza Sauce, Canned
1 cup Mozzarella Cheese, Shredded
Toppings, Whatever You Have!
- Lay out your pizza crust on a sheet pan.
- Thinly coat with pizza sauce and cheese.
- Load on the toppings. Just pretend your refrigerator is the discarded food trailer from Walmart and you’re the Tiger King!
- Bake at 425ºF for 10-20 minutes depending on your preference of soft to crispy.
- Send a selfie of you eating your pizza to Carole Baskin!
The Office’s BYO Soft Pretzel
If you haven’t seen The Office yet, now is the perfect time to finally give in and see what the show is all about. One of our favorite episodes is when everyone got so excited about free pretzels. These pretzels might not be free, but you can make them just the way you like them! Pair them with a Gin & Grape Soda (Jim’s favorite) and you’ve got a winner!
Soft Pretzels, Frozen
1 Bowl Each of Your Favorite Toppings
- For the soft pretzels, there’s no shame in store-bought. They’re usually in the frozen section at the grocery store. Buy Pretzilla if you can find them, they’re the best!
- Follow the directions on the box for the pretzels, omitting the salt.
- Bowl up your favorite toppings such as caramel, cheese sauce, marinara or sprinkles.
- Coat your pretzel thoroughly with whatever you want. It’s your world!
Peaky Blinders’ Jameson Brownies
If you haven’t watched this show on Netflix, you’re missing out. It’s got all the good stuff, including the drinking of copious amounts of Irish Whiskey. So, why not add some to your brownies? Add a shot of Jameson to chase those brownies!
5 oz Unsweetened Chocolate
12 tbsp Butter
½ cup Dark Brown Sugar
1 ½ cup Granulated Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
9 tbsp Jameson Irish Whiskey
1 cup All-Purpose Flour
½ tsp Kosher Salt
1 can (14 oz) Sweetened Condensed Milk
12 oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Lightly grease a 9-inch baking pan or line with parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in the top of a double boiler or bowl placed over barely simmering water. Do not allow the bowl to touch the water. Stir until the butter and chocolate are melted and smooth, remove from the heat and allow the mixture to cool for 5 minutes.
- Place the sugars in a mixing bowl, and pour in the chocolate mixture. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, mix until blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the vanilla and 6 tablespoons of the Whiskey. With the mixer on, add the eggs one at a time until the egg is just blended. Scrape the bowl and blend until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the flour and salt folding in the mixing with a rubber spatula, making certain to incorporate any flour in the bottom of the bowl.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Bake the brownies in the center rack of the oven until a thin crust forms on top and a tester inserted in the center come out with moist crumbs, 45–50 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and brush the remaining 3 tablespoons of whisky over the top of the brownie with a pastry brush. Allow to cool for at least one hour.
- Once the brownies are cool, place the sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips in a sauce pan. Over medium low heat melt them together. Stir until very smooth. This makes a large amount of glaze, it is up to you how thick you would like this to be. We typically use only half the amount and save the remainder to pour over ice cream.
- Using an offset spatula, spread the glaze evenly over the surface of the brownies.
- Place the pan in the refrigerator for 2–4 hours so the glaze will set and it is easier to cut the brownies. Cut them into 1 ½ inch squares.
Free Meek Philly Cheesesteak Egg Roll
If you like rap and legal conspiracies, this show is for you. And while you’re watching a show about the Philly court system trying to ruin the life of a Philly rapper, enjoy some Philly Cheesesteak…egg roll style! Pair it with your favorite Cab or Merlot and you’re in business.
10 Egg Roll Wrappers
1 lb Cooked Steak, Thinly Sliced
1 cup Green Bell Pepper, Julienned
1 cup Red Onion, Julienned
1 tbsp Butter
½ tsp Granulated Garlic
5 slices Provolone Cheese
1 tbsp Liquid Egg
- Sauté onions and peppers in butter for about 5 minutes.
- Add cooked steak and granulated garlic and simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely before proceeding.
- Lay out egg roll wrappers, one at a time, and brush edges with liquid egg.
- Place ½ slice of provolone in the middle of the wrapper.
- Place about 2 oz of the pepper, onion and steak mix in the middle of the wrapper and roll the wrapper tightly around it until sealed.
- Repeat for remaining egg rolls and place in a single layer on sheet pan and freeze.
- Once frozen, fry egg rolls in a deep fryer at 350ºF until internal temperature reaches 155ºF.
- Delicious when served with some sriracha and ketchup.
Ozark’s Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Not into shows about drug cartels? Think again. This fast-paced moody drama has it all. So make some muffins, enjoy with a Leinenkugel’s Summer Shandy and binge this show!
2 ½ cups All-Purpose Flour
1 cup Sugar
2 tbsp Poppy Seeds
1 tbsp Baking Powder
¼ tsp Kosher Salt
1 tbsp Lemon Zest
½ cup Unsalted Butter
1 cup Greek Yogurt
¼ cup Milk
3 tbsp Lemon Juice
1 tsp Lemon Extract
- Pre-heat your oven to 425ºF and line muffin tin with paper liners.
- Mix the first five ingredients in one bowl.
- Melt the butter in a small cup.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients.
- Now, mix your wet ingredients in with your dry ingredients until just mixed. Don’t over mix or they won’t rise.
- Bake for the first 5 minutes at 425ºF and then turn the oven down to 350ºF and bake for an additional 14-18 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test (insert a toothpick and if it comes out clean, they’re done).
- OPTIONAL: If you want to mix up 3 tbsp of lemon juice with 1 ½ cups of powdered sugar to make a little glaze that will really set these off.